Specifications for web PDFs:
- PDF should be a maximum of 30 MB
- flatten as bitmap any complex vector objects
- use 150 PPI (pixels per inch)
InDesign PDF export settings
Make your layouts and then Export. You will see 2 PDF options:
- PDF Print and
- PDF Interactive
Choose PDF Print, as this will allow you to create PDFs that will be ready for print and web.
We recommend you to use the “Smallest file size” preset and select “Optimize for fast web view”, which is perfect for the web. Make sure the “include hyperlinks” and “compress text and line art” boxes are checked.
Settings you should check for your web PDF export:
In the “General” tab:
- Compatibility: Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5)
- Optimize for Fast Web View
- Export Layers: Visible layers
- Include Hyperlinks
In the “Compression” tab
- Set all (colour, greyscale and monochrome) images to “Bicubic Downsampling” to 150 pixels per inch for images above 150 pixels per inch.
- Select “Compress Text and Line Art”
Save your new Export Preset by clicking “Save preset” You can even name it “Flipsnack” and next time you want to export a file as PDF for FlipSnack, you can use this preset.